Unfortunately, there is no way to expedite how fast our hair grows. It grows at a steady rate of about a half inch per month (6 inches a year). However, some women (myself included) firmly argue that their hair will not grow at this speed. Due to a number of factors, it either slows down, or the ends break off which creates the illusion of stubborn hair follicles. Since we all deserve to have beautiful hair at our own ideal lengths, below is a list of tips that will keep your hair growing at its natural and speedy rate.
- To grow your hair, you must CUT your hair. Have your hair trimmed every 8 weeks. Since you hair will grow an inch in-between cuts, do not have your stylist cut over that amount. Ask to have an eighth of an inch cut to rid of split ends, unless your hair needs some serious restoration.
- Your hair is your friend, so be nice to it! Try to limit the amount of blow-drying, flat ironing, curling, crimping, dyeing, etc. Your hair already falls out on its own, but these styling techniques may be pulling it more and contributing to breakage. Tight ponytails and cornrows will also have the same results. If blow-drying is a must, let it air-dry to the point where you only need to blow-dry for about 5 minutes. If you can skip out on the whole process of blow-drying, do that! And be thankful your hair still looks pretty without it.
- Use the right hair products and use them often. Try to find shampoos and conditioners without alcohol. Alcohol can dry out your hair out and make it break more easily. Be sure to use heat protecting products when styling. Also, frequently wash your hair since oily roots and the build up of products can clog your hair follicles and prevent growth.
- Take a multivitamin. To produce the healthy head of hair you want, you need to give your body the nutrition and vitamins it needs to do so. Iron is essential. You can consume this through vitamins or through foods such as beans, spinach, raisins, tofu, broccoli, oysters, lean beef, etc.
- Relax. Research studies have actually proven that hair grows slower when you are stressed out. And as more research has shown, massage is a stress reducer 😉
The bad news is that there is no instant fix to growing beautiful locks overnight. If you are really impatient, look into hair extensions or wigs. The good news is that you can follow these simple steps above and get ready to enjoy the gorgeous hair you’ve always dreamed of.